Prof. Xiaofan ZHAO
PhD in Public Administration, Tsinghua University
Assistant Professor, Division of Public Policy
Climate Change, Energy and Environmental Policy and Governance
Theories of the Policy Process
Regulatory Enforcement and Compliance
Xiaofan ZHAO is Assistant Professor at the Division of Public Policy in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Prior to joining HKUST in January 2021, she was a post-doctoral fellow at the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University (2018-2020). She holds a BS in environmental engineering with honors and with distinction (2009) and a MS in management science and engineering (2010), both from Stanford University, and a PhD in public administration from Tsinghua University (2018). She has worked for the Climate Policy Initiative Beijing Office as well as the World Resources Institute. Her research mainly focuses on energy conservation and climate change policies with a geographical focus on China as well as global comparative environmental governance. She is particularly interested in how and why businesses comply with energy and climate policies. Her publications have appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as World Development, Energy Research & Social Science, Energy Policy, Journal of Cleaner Production, Environmental Policy and Governance, and Journal of Chinese Political Science.
- Zhao, X.,* Young, O.R., Qi, Y., & Guttman, D. (2020). Back to the Future: Can Chinese Doubling Down and American Muddling Through Fulfill 21st Century Needs for Environmental Governance? Environmental Policy and Governance, 30(2), 59-70.
- Zhao, X.,* Wu, L., & Qi, Y. (2020). The Energy Injustice of Hydropower: Development, Resettlement, and Social Exclusion at the Hongjiang and Wanmipo Hydropower Stations in China. Energy Research & Social Science, 62, 101366.
- Zhao, X.,* & Qi, Y. (2020). Why do Firms Obey?: the State of Regulatory Compliance Research in China. Journal of Chinese Political Science, 25, 339–352.
- Zhao, X.,* & Wu, L. (2016). Interpreting the Evolution of the Energy-Saving Target Allocation System in China (2006-2013): A View of Policy Learning. World Development, 82, 83-94.
- Zhao, X., Li, H.,* Wu, L., & Qi, Y. (2016). Enterprise-level Amount of Energy Saved Targets in China: Weaknesses and a Way Forward. Journal of Cleaner Production, 129, 75-87.
- Zhao, X.,* Li, H., Wu, L., & Qi, Y. (2014). Implementation of Energy-Saving Policies in China: How Local Governments Assisted Industrial Enterprises in Achieving Energy-Saving Targets. Energy Policy, 66, 170-184.
- Zhao, X.,* & Ortolano, L. (2010). Implementing China's National Energy Conservation Policies at State-Owned Electric Power Generation Plants. Energy Policy, 38(10), 6293-6306.