Prof. Masaru YARIME
PhD in Economics and Policy Studies of Innovation and Technological Change, Maastricht University
Associate Professor, Division of Public Policy
Policy design and innovations
Emergence of the innovation systems approach
Energy policy and technology development
Climate change and global environmental governance
Big data and social science research
Masaru YARIME is Associate Professor at the Division of Public Policy in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He also has appointments as Honorary Reader at the Department of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy (STEaPP) in University College London, Visiting Associate Professor at the Graduate School of Public Policy (GraSPP) in the University of Tokyo, and Visiting Scholar at the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Research Institute. He has been awarded Abe Fellowship 2014 by the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) of the United States.
His research interests center around science, technology, and innovation policy for energy, environment, and sustainability. For the past years he has been engaged in research and educational activities from interdisciplinary perspectives, with an intention to understand the complex interface between engineering and social sciences and the dynamic interactions between technology and institutions in creating sustainability innovation. He is particularly interested in exploring the structure, functions, and evolution of innovation systems involving stakeholders in various sectors, with a focus on smart cities. He has many experiences of cooperation and collaboration with academia, industry, government, and civil society in Asia, Europe, and North America.
He has contributed to many international initiatives, including the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Finance Initiative on Environmental Risk Integration in Sovereign Credit Analysis, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol Technical Working Group on GHG Risk Management, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group III (Mitigation of Climate Change) Fifth Assessment Report, and the Expert Group on Policy Support Tools and Methodologies of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). Currently he is serving on the editorial board of international journals, including Sustainability Science, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, and Frontiers in Energy Research – Energy Systems and Policy.
He received B.Eng. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Tokyo, M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and Ph.D. in Economics and Policy Studies of Innovation and Technological Change from Maastricht University in the Netherlands. His previous positions include Senior Research Fellow at the National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) of the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and Associate Professor at the School of Energy and Environment in the City University of Hong Kong. He had visiting professorships at Groupe de Recherche en Économie Théorique et Appliquée (GREThA) of the University of Bordeaux IV in France and the Department of Science and Technology Studies of the University of Malaya in Malaysia.
- Ahl, Amanda; Masaru Yarime; Goto, Mika; Chopra, Shauhrat S.; Manoj Kumar, Nallapaneni; Tanakã, Kenji; Sagawa, Daishi, , Exploring Blockchain for the Energy Transition: Opportunities and Challenges Based on a Case Study in Japan, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, v. 117, January 2020, article number 109488 (2020).
- Trencher, Gregory; Taeihagh, Araz; Masaru Yarime, , Overcoming Barriers to Developing and Diffusing Fuel-Cell Vehicles: Governance Strategies and Experiences in Japan, Energy Policy, v. 142, July 2020, article number 111533 (2020).
- Kobashi, Takuro; Say, Kelvin; Wang, Jiayang; Masaru Yarime; Wang, Dong; Yoshida, Takahiro; Yamagata, Yoshiki, , Techno-economic assessment of photovoltaics plus electric vehicles towards household-sector decarbonization in Kyoto and Shenzhen by the year 2030, Journal of Cleaner Production, v. 253, April 2020, article number 119933 (2020).
- Kobashi, Takuro; Yoshida, Takahiro; Yamagata, Yoshiki; Naito, Katsuhiko; Pfenninger, Stefan; Say, Kelvin; Takeda, Yasuhiro; Ahl, Amanda; Masaru Yarime; Hara, Keishiro, , On the potential of “Photovoltaics + Electric vehicles” for deep decarbonization of Kyoto's power systems: Techno-economic-social considerations, Applied Energy, v. 275, October 2020, article number 115419 (2020).
- Spandagos, Constantinos; Masaru Yarime; Baark, Erik; Ng, Tze Ling, , “Triple Target” policy framework to influence household energy behavior: Satisfy, strengthen, include, Applied Energy, v. 269, July 2020, article number 115117 (2020).
- Ahl, Amanda; Goto, Mika; Masaru Yarime, , Smart Technology Applications in the Woody Biomass Supply Chain: Interview Insights and Potential in Japan, Sustainability Science, 2019 (2019).
- Akerlof, Karen; Tyler, Chris; Foxen, Sarah Elizabeth; Heath, Erin; Soler, Marga Gual; Masaru Yarime, , A Collaboratively Derived International Research Agenda on Legislative Science Advice, Palgrave Communications, v. 5, (1), December 2019, article number 108 (2019).
- Ko, Yekang; Barrett, Brendan F.D.; Copping, Andrea E.; Sharifi, Ayyoob; Masaru Yarime; Wang, Xin, , Energy transitions towards low carbon resilience: Evaluation of disaster-triggered local and regional cases, Sustainability (Switzerland), v. 11, (23), December 2019, article number 6801 (2019).
- Ahl, Amanda; Masaru Yarime; Tanaka, Kenji; Sagawa, Daishi, , Review of blockchain-based distributed energy: Implications for institutional development, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, v. 107, June 2019, p. 200-211 (2019).
- Asokan, Vivek Anand; Masaru Yarime; Onuki, Motoharu, , Bridging Practices, Institutions, and Landscapes Through a Scale-based Approach for Research and Practice: A Case Study of a Business Association in South India, Ecological Economics, v. 160, June 2019, p. 240-250 (2019).
- Asokan, Vivek Anand; Masaru Yarime; Onuki, Motoharu, , A review of data-intensive approaches for sustainability: methodology, epistemology, normativity, and ontology, Sustainability Science, v. 15, (3), May 2020, p. 955-974 (2019).
- Tantiwechwuttikul, Ranaporn; Masaru Yarime; Ito, Kohzo, , Innovation System of Solar Photovoltaics in Thailand, Asian Research Policy, v. 10, (1), July 2019, p. 77-86 (2019).
- Masaru Yarime ; Li, Aitong, , Facilitating International Cooperation on Air Pollution in East Asia: Fragmentation of the Epistemic Communities, Global Policy, v. 9, November 2018, p. 35-41 (2018).
- Masaru Yarime, Learning and Open Data in Sustainability Transitions: Evolutionary Implications of the Theory of Probabilistic Functionalism, Environment Systems and Decisions, v. 38, (1), March 2018, p. 88-91 (2018).
- Pathirana, Shakila M. ; Masaru Yarime, , Introducing Energy Efficient Technologies in Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Apparel Industry: A Case Study of Sri Lanka, Journal of Cleaner Production, v. 178, March 2018, p. 247-257 (2018).
- Scholz, Roland Werner ; Masaru Yarime; Shiroyama, Hideaki, , Global Leadership for Social Design: Theoretical and Educational Perspectives, Sustainability Science, v. 13, (2), March 2018, p. 447-464 (2018).
- Ahl, Amanda ; Eklund, Johanna; Lundqvist, Per G.; Masaru Yarime, , Balancing Formal and Informal Success Factors Perceived by Supply Chain Stakeholders: A Study of Woody Biomass Energy Systems in Japan, Journal of Cleaner Production, v. 175, February 2018, p. 50-59 (2018).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Learning and Open Data in Sustainability Transitions: Evolutionary Implications of the Theory of Probabilistic Functionalism," Environment Systems and Decisions, 38 (1), 88-91 (2018).
- Pathirana, Shakila, and Masaru Yarime, "Introducing Energy-Efficient Technologies in Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Apparel Industry: A Case Study of Sri Lanka," Journal of Cleaner Production, 178, 247-257 (2018).
- Scholz, Roland W., Masaru Yarime, and Hideaki Shiroyama, "Global Leadership for Social Design: Theoretical and Educational Perspectives," Sustainability Science, 13 (2), 447-464 (2018).
- Ahl, Amanda, Johanna Eklund, Per Lundqvist, and Masaru Yarime, "Balancing Formal and Informal Success Factors Perceived by Supply Chain Stakeholders: A Study of Woody Biomass Energy Systems in Japan," Journal of Cleaner Production, 175, 50-59 (2018).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Facilitating data-intensive approaches to innovation for sustainability: opportunities and challenges in building smart cities," Sustainability Science, 12 (6), 881- 885 (2017).
- Li, Aitong, and Masaru Yarime, "Polarization and Clustering in Scientific Debates and Problem Framing: Network Analysis of the Science-Policy Interface for Grassland Management in China," Ecology and Society, 22 (3), 8 (2017).
- Asokan, Vivek, Masaru Yarime, and Miguel Esteban, "Introducing Flexibility to Complex, Resilient Socio-Ecological Systems: A Comparative Analysis of Economics, Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Evolutionary Biology, and Supply Chain Management," Sustainability, 9 (7), 1091 (2017).
- Sato, Masahiro, Ali Kharrazi, Hirofumi Nakayama, Steven Kraines, and Masaru Yarime, "Quantifying the Supplier-Portfolio Diversity of Embodied Energy: Strategic Implications for Strengthening Energy Resilience," Energy Policy, 105, 41-52 (2017).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masafumi Nagao, Chen Chiahsin, Kentaro Ichiki, Tobai Sadayoshi, Mariko Kinai, Mio Kamitani, Shojiro Nakamura, Aiko Yamauchi, and Masaru Yarime, “Implementing Sustainability Co-creation between Universities and Society: A Typology of Potential Models, Challenges and Strategies,” Sustainability, 9 (4), 594 (2017).
- Sato, Masahiro, Ali Kharrazi, Hirofumi Nakayama, Steven Kraines, and Masaru Yarime, “The Resilience of Embodied Energy Networks: A Critical Dimension for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),” Global Environmental Research, 19 (2), 187-198 (2016).
- Trencher, Gregory, Vanesa Castán Broto, Tomoko Takagi, Zoe Sprigings, Yuko Nishida, and Masaru Yarime, "Innovative policy practices to advance building energy efficiency and retrofitting: Approaches, impacts and challenges in ten C40 cities," Environmental Science & Policy, 66, 353-365 (2016).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Masahiro Sato, Masaru Yarime, Hirofumi Nakayama, Yadong Yu, and Steven Kraines, "Examining the resilience of national energy systems: Measurements of diversity in production-based and consumption-based electricity in the globalization of trade networks," Energy Policy, 87, 455-464 (2015).
- Trencher, Gregory, Toru Terada, and Masaru Yarime, "Student participation in the co-creation of knowledge and social experiments for advancing sustainability: Experiences from the University of Tokyo," Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 16, 56-63 (2015).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Elena Rovenskaya, Ram Avtar, Shuichi Iwata, and Masaru Yarime, "Examining the Ecology of Commodity Trade Networks Using an Ecological Information-Based Approach: Toward Strategic Assessment of Resilience," Journal of Industrial Ecology, 19 (5), 805-813 (2015).
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Erin Bohensky, and Masaru Yarime, "Can Resilience Thinking Inform Resilience Investments? Learning from Resilience Principles for Disaster Risk Reduction," Sustainability, 7 (7), 9048-9066 (2015).
- Huang, Wei, Shenghui Cui, Masaru Yarime, Seiji Hashimoto, and Shunsuke Managi, "Improving Urban Metabolism Study for Sustainable Urban Transformation," Environmental Technology and Innovation, 4, 62-72 (2015).
- Shiroyama, Hideaki, Makiko Matsuo, and Masaru Yarime, "Issues and Policy Measures for Phosphorus Recycling from Sewage: Lessons from Stakeholder Analysis of Japan," Global Environmental Research, 19 (1), 67-76 (2015).
- Trencher, Gregory, Xuemei Bai, James Evans, Kes B McCormick, and Masaru Yarime, "University Partnerships for Co-designing and Co-producing Urban Sustainability," Global Environmental Change, 28, 153–165 (2014).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Lan Hoang, and Masaru Yarime, "Advancing quantification methods of sustainability: A critical examination of emergy, exergy, ecological footprint, and ecological information-based approaches," Ecological Indicators, 37, 81–89 (2014).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, Kes McCormick, Christopher Doll, and Steven Kraines, "Beyond the third mission: Exploring the emerging university function of co-creation for sustainability," Science and Public Policy, 41 (2), 151-179 (2014).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, "Moving towards urban sustainability in Kenya: a framework for integration of environmental, economic, social, and governance dimensions," Sustainability Science, 9 (2), 205-215 (2014).
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Martin Halle, Ivo Mulder, and Masaru Yarime, "Towards a new framework to account for environmental risk in sovereign credit risk analysis," Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment, 4 (2), 147-160 (2014).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, "Microfinance for the Urban Bottom of the Pyramid Segment in Nairobi’s Kibera Slum in Kenya: Does Financial Training Impact on Sustainable Urban Development?" African Journal of Sustainable Development, 4 (1), 1-15 (2014).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Elena Rovenskaya, Brian D. Fath, Masaru Yarime, and Steven Kraines, "Quantifying the sustainability of economic resource networks: An ecological information-based approach," Ecological Economics, 90, 177-186 (2013).
- Kudo, Shogo, and Masaru Yarime, "Divergence of the sustaining and marginalizing communities in the process of rural aging: a case study of Yurihonjo-shi, Akita, Japan," Sustainability Science, 8 (4), 491-513 (2013).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, and Ali Kharrazi, "Co-creating sustainability: cross-sector university collaborations for driving sustainable urban transformations," Journal of Cleaner Production, 50, 40-55 (2013).
- Yarime, Masaru, Gregory Trencher, Takashi Mino, Roland W. Scholz, Lennart Olsson, Barry Ness, Niki Frantzeskaki, and Jan Rotmans, "Establishing sustainability science in higher education institutions: towards an integration of academic development, institutionalization, and collaborations with stakeholders," Sustainability Science, 7 (Supplement 1), 101-113 (2012).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Yuko Tanaka, "The Issues and Methodologies in Sustainability Assessment Tools for Higher Education Institutions: A Review of Recent Trends and Future Challenges," Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 6 (1), 63-77 (2012).
- Pohl, Hans, and Masaru Yarime, "Integrating Innovation System and Management Concepts: The Development of Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles in Japan," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 79 (8), 1431-1446 (2012).
- Shiroyama, Hideaki, Masaru Yarime, Makiko Matsuo, Heike Schroeder, Roland Scholz, and Andrea E. Ulrich, "Governance for sustainability: knowledge integration and multi-actor dimensions in risk management," Sustainability Science, 7 (Supplement 1), 45-55 (2012).
- Kharrazi, Ali, and Masaru Yarime, "Quantifying the Sustainability of Integrated Urban Waste and Energy Networks: Seeking an Optimal Balance between Network Efficiency and Resilience," Procedia Environmental Sciences, 13, 1663-1667 (2012).
- Wiek, Arnim, Francesca Farioli, Kensuke Fukushi, and Masaru Yarime, "Sustainability science – Bridging the gap between science and society," Sustainability Science, 7 (Supplement 1), 1-4 (2012).
- Jupesta, Joni, Rizaldi Boer, Govindan Parayil, Yuko Harayama, Masaru Yarime, Jose A. Puppim de Oliveira, and Suneetha M. Subramanian, "Managing the Transition to Sustainability in an Emerging Economy: Evaluating Green Growth Policies in Indonesia," Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 1 (2), 187-191 (2011).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, "Understanding the Grassroots Dynamics of Slums in Nairobi: The Dilemma of Kibera Informal Settlements," International Transaction Journal of Engineering, Management, & Applied Sciences & Technologies, 2 (2), 197-213 (2011).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Understanding Sustainability Innovation as a Social Process of Knowledge Transformation," Nanotechnology Perceptions, 6 (3), 143-153 (2010).
- Dijk, Marc, and Masaru Yarime, "The Emergence of Hybrid-Electric Cars: Innovation Path Creation through Co-Evolution of Supply and Demand," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 77 (8), 1371-1390 (2010).
- Yarime, Masaru, Yoshiyuki Takeda, and Yuya Kajikawa, "Towards Institutional Analysis of Sustainability Science: A Quantitative Examination of the Patterns of Research Collaboration," Sustainability Science, 5 (1), 115-125 (2010).
- Baba, Yasunori, Masaru Yarime, and Naohiro Shichijo, "Sources of Success in Advanced Materials Innovation: The Role of 'Core Researchers' in University-Industry Collaboration in Japan," International Journal of Innovation Management, 14 (2), 201-219 (2010).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Public Coordination for Escaping from Technological Lock-in: Its Possibilities and Limits in Replacing Diesel Vehicles with Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles in Tokyo," Journal of Cleaner Production, 17 (14), 1281-1288 (2009).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Promoting Green Innovation or Prolonging the Existing Technology: Regulation and Technological Change in the Chlor-Alkali Industry in Japan and Europe," Journal of Industrial Ecology, 11 (4), 117-139 (2007).
Books and Book Chapters
- Masaru Yarime, Facilitating innovation for smart cities: the role of public policies in the case of Japan, Smart Cities in Asia: Governing Development in the Era of Hyper-Connectivity / Edited by Yu-Min Joo and Teck-Boon Tan. Cheltenham, UK : Edward Elgar, 2020, p. 93-106, Ch. 6 (2020).
- Tantiwechwuttikul, Ranaporn; Masaru Yarime; Ito, Kohzo, , Solar Photovoltaic Market Adoption: Dilemma of Technological Exploitation vs Technological Exploration, Technologies and Eco-innovation towards Sustainability II / Allen H. Hu, Mitsutaka Matsumoto, Tsai Chi Kuo, and Shana Smith, editors. Singapore : Springer, 2019, p. 215-227 (2019).
- Kharrazi, Ali; Akiyama, Tomohiro; Masaru Yarime, Resilience Thinking and Sustainable Development, Encyclopedia of Sustainability in Higher Education / Walter Leal Filho. Springer, 2019 (2019).
- Tantiwechwuttikul, Ranaporn; Masaru Yarime, Financing Solar Photovoltaic Transitions: From Utility to Residential Market Adoption in Emerging Economies, Handbook of Green Finance: Energy Security and Sustainable Development / Editors: Jeffrey Sachs, Woo Wing Thye, Naoyuki Yoshino, and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary. Switzerland : Springer, 2019, p. 405-423, Book series: Sustainable Development (2019).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Martin Karlsson, "Examining Technological Innovation Systems of Smart Cities: The Case of Japan and Implications for Public Policy and Institutional Design," in Jorge Niosi, ed., Innovation Systems, Policy and Management, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 394-417 (2018).
- Tantiwechwuttikul, Ranaporn, and Masaru Yarime, "Financing Solar Photovoltaic Transitions: From Utility to Residential Market Adoption in Emerging Economies," in Jeffery Sachs, Woo Wing Thye, Naoyuki Yoshino, and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary, eds., Handbook of Green Finance: Energy Security and Sustainable Development, Springer and Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI), forthcoming.
- Nyberg, Roy, and Masaru Yarime, "Assembling a Field into Place: Smart City Development in Japan," in Marc-David Seidel and Henrich Greve, eds., Emergence, Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Volume 50, Bingley: Emerald, 253-279 (2017).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Implementing Technology Assessment through Stakeholder Platforms: Strategic Resource Logistics for Socially Robust Models of Sustainability Innovation," in Antonio Moniz and Kumi Okuwada, eds., Technology Assessment in Japan and Europe, Karlsruhe: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) Scientific Publishing, 129-145 (2016).
- Trencher, Gregory, Daniel Rosenberg Daneri, Kes McCormick, Toru Terada, John Petersen, Masaru Yarime, and Bernadett Kiss, "The role of students in the co-creation of transformational knowledge and sustainability experiments: Experiences from Sweden, Japan and the USA," in Walter Leal and Luciana Brandli, eds., Engaging Stakeholders in Education for Sustainable Development at University Level, Berlin: Springer, 191-215 (2016).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Integrated Solutions to Complex Problems: Transforming Japanese Science and Technology," in Frank Baldwin and Anne Allison, eds., Japan: The Precarious Future, New York: New York University Press and the United States Social Science Research Council (SSRC), 213-235 (2015).
- Mochizuki, Yoko, and Masaru Yarime, "Chapter 1 - Education for Sustainable Development and Sustainability Science: Re-purposing Higher Education and Research," in Matthias Barth, Gerd Michelsen, Marco Rieckmann, and Ian Geoffrey Thomas, eds., Routledge Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development, London: Routledge, 11-24 (2015).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Ali Kharrazi, "Understanding the Environment as a Complex Natural-Social System: Challenges and Opportunities for Public Policies," in Bernardo Alves Furtado, Patrícia A. M. Sakowski, and Marina H. Tóvolli, eds., Modeling Complex Systems for Public Policies, Brasilia: Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA), Secretariat of Strategic Affairs of the Presidency of the Republic, Federal Government of Brazil, 127-140 (2015).
- Yarime, Masaru, Cynthia Carliell-Marquet, Deborah T. Hellums, Yuliya Kalmykova, Daniel J. Lang, Quang Bao Le, Dianne Malley, Kazuyo Matsubae, Makiko Matsuo, Hisao Ohtake, Alan Omlin, Sebastian Petzet, Roland W. Scholz, Hideaki Shiroyama, Andrea E. Ulrich, and Paul Watts, "Dissipation and Recycling: What Losses, What Dissipation Impacts, and What Recycling Options?" in Roland. W. Scholz, Amit. H. Roy, Fridolin S. Brand, Deborah. T. Hellums & Andrea. E. Ulrich, eds., Sustainable Phosphorus Management: A Global Transdisciplinary Roadmap, Dordrecht: Springer, 247-274 (2014).
- Gomes, Catarina, and Masaru Yarime, "Diversity of Human Capital as a Driver for Corporate Responsibility Engagement: The Case of the Luxury Industry," in Miguel Angel Gardetti and Ana Laura Torres, eds., Sustainable Luxury: Managing Social and Environmental Performance in Iconic Brands, Sheffield, United Kingdom: Greenleaf Publishing, 148-162 (2014).
- Orsato, Renato J., Marc Dijk, Rene Kemp, and Masaru Yarime, "The Electrification of Automobility: The Bumpy Ride of Electric Vehicles towards Regime Transition," in Frank Geels, Rene Kemp, Geoff Dudley, and Glenn Lyons, eds., Automobility in Transition? A Socio-Technical Analysis of Sustainable Transport, London: Routledge, 205-228 (2012).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Challenges and Opportunities in Sustainability Science: A Perspective Based on Research and Educational Experiences," in Global University Network for Innovation (GUNI), ed., Higher Education in the World 4: Higher Education Committed to Sustainability - From Understanding to Action, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 254-258 (2011).
- Fadeeva, Zinaida, Laima Galkute, Heila Lotz-Sisitka, Dzulkifli Abdul Razak, Miguel Chakon, and Masaru Yarime, "University Appraisal for Diversity, Innovation and Change towards Sustainable Development: Can it be done?" in Global University Network for Innovation (GUNI), ed., Higher Education in the World 4: Higher Education Committed to Sustainability - From Understanding to Action, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 308-313 (2011).
- Alvial-Palavicino, Carla, and Masaru Yarime, "Sharing and Shaping Perceptions: Dialogues with Expertise in the Deployment of Renewable Energy Technologies," in Matthew Cotton and Bernardo Heisler Motta, eds., Engaging with Environmental Justice: Governance, Education and Citizenship, Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 189-200 (2011).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Exploring Sustainability Science: Knowledge, Institutions, and Innovation," in Hiroshi Komiyama, Kazuhiko Takeuchi, Hideaki Shiroyama, and Takashi Mino, eds., Sustainability Science: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 98-111 (2011).
- Yarime, Masaru, From End-of-Pipe Technology to Clean Technology: Environmental Policy and Technological Change in the Chlor-Alkali Industry in Japan and Europe, Saarbrücken, Germany: VDM Verlag, 472 pages (2009).
- Yarime, Masaru, Hideaki Shiroyama, and Yusuke Kuroki, "The Strategies of the Japanese Auto Industry in Developing Hybrid and Fuel Cell Vehicles," in Lynn Mytelka and Grant Boyle, eds., Making Choices about Hydrogen: Transport Issues for Developing Countries, Tokyo: United Nations University Press; and Ottawa: IDRC Press, 187-212 (2008).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Innovation on Clean Technology through Environmental Policy: Emergence of the Ion Exchange Membrane Process in the Japanese Chlor-Alkali Industry," in Saeed Parto and Brent Herbert-Copley, eds., Industrial Innovation and Environmental Regulation: Developing Workable Solutions, Ottawa: IDRC Press; and Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 174-199 (2007).