Prof. Pauline NG
B. Organisational Leadership, University of New England, Australia
Adjunct Professor, Division of Public Policy
Former Secretary General of the Legislative Council Secretariat, HKSAR
Ms Pauline Ng, formerly the Secretary General of the Legislative Council Secretariat, is currently the Director of the Hong Kong Policy Research Centre of Tianda Institute. Apart from teaching at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, she also undertakes parliamentary development assignments for the United Nations in countries such as Myanmar.
Ms Ng started her career in the Hong Kong Government in 1972. After working in the Executive Officer Grade for 22 years in policy formulation and departmental management, she was appointed as Assistant Secretary General of the Legislative Council Secretariat in 1994. In 1997, she was designated as Clerk to the Provisional Legislative Council to assist in the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. In recognition of her significant contribution, she was awarded the Chief Executive’s Commendation for Government/Public Service in 1999.
In September 2008. Ms. Ng was appointed as Secretary General. One of her major responsibilities was the commissioning of the Legislative Council Complex in October 2011. She retired in 2012 and was awarded the Silver Bauhinia Star in the same year. After her retirement, Ms Ng was engaged by The Legislative Council Commission as the Chief Writer of an authoritative guide on the history and procedures of the Hong Kong Legislature which was tabled in the Council in June 2016.
In 2016, Ms Ng set up a social enterprise and launched a web portal we60.com in May 2017 to promote active ageing. In developing this e-magazine, she engages persons with different forms of disabilities and trains them in research, writing, translation, and website design work.
Ms Ng is an active member of Zonta International and she currently serves on the Zonta International Bylaws and Resolutions Committee. She is Vice Chairman of the English Schools Foundation and she holds key positions in a number of professional associations, charitable organizations and education foundations.
Ms. Ng is a Fellow of The Hong Kong Institute of Directors and has a Professional Diploma in Company Direction. She is also listed on the Panel of Mediators of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited.
- Suitable Tailoring for Implementing Quality Circles in Organisations presented at the 10th Anniversary Convention of Quality Control Circles Movement in PRC and published in the National QCC Newsletter (1988)
- Excuse Me, Sir! and Who is at fault?, the winning cases in the 1990 Case Writer of the Year Competition, published in the Compendium of Hong Kong Cases in Management 1992 by the Management Development Centre of Hong Kong of the Vocational Training Council (1990)
- Who is at fault? - Computer-based Training in Management: MDC Series, published by the Vocational Training Council (1992)
- Quality Management in Applications for the 5th Hong Kong Quality Circles Convention published by the Hong Kong Productivity Council (1993)
- A Companion to the history, rules and procedures of the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Part I) (commissioned by The Legislative Council Commission, tabled in the Council in June 2014) (2014)
- A Companion to the history, rules and procedures of the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Part II - Chapters 7 to 10) ) (commissioned by The Legislative Council Commission, tabled in the Council in July 2015) (2015)
- A Companion to the history, rules and procedures of the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Part II - Chapters 11 to 14 & Part III ) (commissioned by The Legislative Council Commission, to be tabled in the Council in June 2016) (2016)